VOYAGE Summer Employment Program
The Voyage Summer Employment Program is an 8 week summer jobs program that provides in- depth workforce development for 10th-12th grade students through individualized job skills training, financial literacy classes, career readiness certification, ongoing mentoring, and paid work experiences.
- Youth are recruited in the spring and are given assessments including TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education), CRC (Career Readiness Certification), and other assessments to develop an IEP (Individualized Employment Plan) for each participant before they begin the program, this allows the job coaches to work with each participant on specific goals related to their IEP.
- Jobs Skills Bootcamp- Mon-Fri from 9:00-3:00- is a week-long orientation starting the first week of summer vacation to provide participants with a comprehensive and in depth job skills training to prepare youth for their 7 weeks of paid work experiences.
- There are 7 weeks of paid work experience where participants are placed at over 15 partnering host sites. Participants will work Mon-Thurs for a total of 24 hours per week.
- Trained and qualified job coaches are assigned to groups of students to provide ongoing support while closely monitoring the progress of each participant at their work site.
- Weekly Friday sessions are held with all participants to provide ongoing educational workshops that include: targeted job-skills workshops, career exploration, health awareness, guest speakers, group mentoring, and financial literacy classes.
VOYAGE Summer Employment Program Partners:
- EDSI (Educational Data Systems, Inc.)-EDSI is locally funded by the Cape Fear Council of Governments through a WIOA (Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act) federally funded contract. Through this partnership, EDSI provides VOYAGE participants with job skills training and readiness assessments including measuring and certifying the essential work skills needed for success in jobs across industries and occupations. All participants will also be enrolled in EDSI’s program, which will allow them to continue to receive supportive job skills services and case management throughout the school year. EDSI will serve as the employer for this program and each participant will be on their payroll and covered under EDSI’s liability insurance and workman’s comp.
- KMI (Kids Making It)- The BRC partnered with KMI during this program to provide supervision and training and other support that will provide some of our participants with opportunities for work experiences in the areas of construction, building, HVAC, and other vocational trades.
Summer 2016 Job Sites
- BRC Hemenway Center
- Cape Fear Habitat for Humanity
- Cape Fear Museum
- Children’s Museum of Wilmington
- City Manager’s Office
- Community Boys and Girls Club
- Earney and Company, L.L.C.
- EUE/Screen Gems Studios
- Hughes Brothers Tire
- McAlister’s Deli
- New Hanover County District Attorney’s Office
- Steven’s Hardware
- Tribute Companies, Inc.
- WARM, Inc.
- Wilmington Family YMCA
- Wilmington Police Dept.