VOYAGE Summer Employment Program
Check back this November for the 2019 Summer Employment Program youth participant application!
The Voyage Summer Employment Program is an 8 week summer jobs program that provides in- depth workforce development for 16-19 year old students facing barriers to employment through individualized job skills training, financial literacy classes, career readiness certification, ongoing mentoring, and paid work experiences.
- Jobs Skills Bootcamp- Tuesday – Thursday from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm- is a three day-long orientation provided by StepUp Wilmington. The Job Skills Bootcamp starts the first week of summer vacation to provide participants with a comprehensive and in depth job skills training to prepare youth for their 7 weeks of paid work experiences.
- There are 7 weeks of paid work experience where participants are placed at over 15 partnering host sites. Participants will attend three-hour paid training sessions every Monday from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Participants will work Tuesday – Thursday for a total of 24 hours per week.
- Trained and qualified job coaches are assigned to groups of students to provide ongoing support while closely monitoring the progress of each participant at their work site.
- Weekly Monday sessions are held with all participants to provide ongoing educational workshops that include: targeted job-skills workshops, career exploration, health awareness, guest speakers, group mentoring, and financial literacy classes.
Summer 2018 opened plenty of opportunities for our youth! After completing the program, at least 10 of the participants were offered internships or paid jobs due to outstanding performance at their summer jobs!
VOYAGE Summer Employment Program Partners:
- KMI (Kids Making It)- The BRC partners with KMI during this program to provide supervision and training and other support that will provide some of our participants with opportunities for work experiences in the areas of construction, building, HVAC, and other vocational trades.
- StepUp Wilmington– This organization provides the Job Skills Bootcamp and other ongoing workforce development training sessions throughout the program.
Summer 2018 Job Sites
- City of Wilmington
- Human Resources Department
- Information Technology Department
- Police Department
- MLK Center
- Maides Park
- The Foxes Boxes
- Cape Fear Museum
- Kids Making It
- New Hanover High School
- Williston Middle School
- Village of Greenfield
- New Hanover County District Attorney’s Office
- Andrew Waters Attorney
- Tribute Companies, Inc.
- New Hanover Regional Medical Center
- New Hanover County Health Department